Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Never Any Less Surprising

Tonight, I had someone thank me for my actions at an event we both attended in June. In fact, they told me that they could not thank me enough for what I did for them. As far as I know, all I did for them was greet them warmly and ask to get to know them. Sure, we spent a lot of time together over the course of the week. But most of it was simply sitting next to each other and talking. We did share a tent for a night, and I assisted them with a few things, but in general, I feel as if I only did what any other person would have done in my place.

Apparently, this was enough to give them an entirely new perspective on themself and the world. Granted, they also mentioned the rest of my group helped with that. I suppose, as this was a young person exploring their gender identity, that it was helpful that I, and the rest of my group, were welcoming and accepting. I suppose were I that age and first coming out it would have had an equal effect on me.

But regardless, it never gets any less surprising. No matter how many times people thank me for treating them like a human being and accepting them as they are, I will never not be surprised. I hope they continue to meet people who treat them as well, or even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment