Thursday, October 16, 2014

Dreams From Last Night I



                Last night, I had some very strange dreams. In one dream, there was a zombie outbreak. Given the prevalence of this idea in popular culture, I am unsurprised that I had this dream, especially when I was lamenting the dearth of good survival games that don’t involve zombies. That said, it started out in a completely different way. I was in some sort of diner or shop. I believe it was a diner, as there seemed to be tables and a long counter, however, it might have been a bar. Regardless, I was in a sort of back room, that might have been a kitchen, as there was a window looking out from behind the counter. I seemed to know that something was going to happen, because I was collecting various firearms and accessories. I heard the door open and crouched below the window. It seemed there were two women looking for me, and I had known they would be, hence the hiding and the gathering weapons.
                After a few moments, I heard them begin screaming and shooting wildly, and that was the signal that the zombies had arrived. I waited a few moments with bullets ripping through the walls around me, then I got up and entered the main room to help them.
                Either my shots were ineffective, or the zombies were not as easily disposed of as the popular films would have you believe, as even point blank head shots didn’t seem to incapacitate them. Seeing the futility of the fight, we fled, but I somehow ended up alone. I think I was trying to get back to the women, but I got separated from them or something, because I was wandering the streets alone at night. I was trying my best to avoid attracting attention. It was fortunate that I had a silenced weapon, to aid me in this endeavor, but again, even clean headshots didn’t really seem to affect the undead beyond staggering them a bit. At one point, a large truck drove up and down the street, its loud exhaust attracting the zombies. I used the distraction to my advantage and ran for a short while. I eventually came to a large farm with several pastures full of cattle, and I remembered thinking about whether or not the zombies would kill the cattle, or the virus or whatever other cause of the outbreak would affect them. I don’t recall much else about that dream.
                Another dream I had last night involved a sleep over and videogames. Kai and I had invited people over, apparently, though our apartment was much bigger and very different. The main thing I recall about this dream, is that I complained that someone else had laid claim to the couch I was going to sleep on, and I was irritated. Even in the dream, I wondered why I couldn’t just sleep in our bed, but I chose to share a couch with someone else anyway (what kind of apartment has like four couches, though?). But alas, even in my dreams, I am an insomniac, so I couldn’t sleep well, and eventually got up. There was something I don’t remember well about a cat, I was reading a story, but it was also happening in reality, or something like that, and then I decided to watch some let’s play videos. I recall seeing some LPers I enjoy collaborating on a new project, and I was tickled by the innuendos and sexual tension between them (because I’m mature). After that, I decided that I would play minecraft with my niece, because obviously, she was still awake, too. We played for a while, until she placed a bed in the nether and blew herself up because she didn’t want to play anymore. I don’t recall anything else of that dream, and I think I got up to use the facilities at that point.
                Finally, I had a dream that was perhaps the strangest of all. Kai and I were in the car driving, and she was being quite reckless. At one point, she had driven up on the sidewalk, as if this were totally acceptable, to avoid road construction. However, a combination of a sudden turn and hitting the brakes too hard caused her to spin out…. Through the plate glass window of some sort of department store, and clear on out the window on the other side. She regained control and we arrived at our destination, which was a gigantic shopping mall, which was also where we lived, apparently. The people from the department store pretty easily found us and wanted us to pay for the window, of course. Kai became despondent, but as always, I was not worried. My mother was also there for some reason, and sent me out to the car to get something, so that she could pay for our grocery bills.
                While I was doing this, I was also exploring the mall. There were all kinds of different things, including several McDonald’s restaurants. The roof of the mall was also, apparently very leaky, as the floor was covered in water from the rain. I ended up going out a direction that I didn’t recall going before and found myself near a playground and several restaurants. Outside there were no less than five McDonalds’ and a Pizza Hut. While two or three of the Mickey Ds’ were closed, the fact that there were so many was quite amusing to me (in the waking world, I wonder if this is not an indication of my disdain for consumerism and commodification). I wander around for a bit, until I managed to find the entrance I was familiar with, with the help of a person I met along the way. I made it to the car (I think), and got what I needed (I think). Then I went inside and met a couple old friends and told them about the hilariously large number of McDonalds’. While on our way back, we went out the door that was near them and I showed them, then we begin laughing at the number inside the mall as well (if memory serves, we encountered eight of them, counting the ones inside). Then we found another entrance, with an escalator going up, and a button on the wall. The button opened a secret passage… well, a not so secret passage anyway, as both the button and the sliding wall were pretty obvious, into... a McDonald’s. Looking down the hall, we saw a conveyor belt, leading to another escalator, and both were stopped. We decided to make our way back to where I lived, and so took the working escalator. It led us to a working conveyor belt, and we climbed off and appeared to be in some sort of maintenance area. A custodian asked us what we were doing, and I said we had gotten lost, which was at least in part, true. He didn’t seem upset, and engaged us in conversation for a few moments. I informed him of the escalator and conveyor belt at the other end of the line appearing broken, and he thanked me and said he’d look into it. I then took my leave and started out to find my residence. My friends had not waited for me, but I don’t remember much else about that dream.
                There are a few more fragments that I remember, but not really worth mentioning, so I will simply relate those to you. While I’m no stranger to weird dreams, most of them tend to take the form of night terrors, and while it can be argued that the first was a nightmare, it was not a vivid night terror by any means, so I will gladly take more nights where I have dreams like these!

No comments:

Post a Comment